Genre: YA Science-Fiction Dystopian
Release Date: June 28, 2013
Goodreads Rating: 3.94
My Rating: 4.5
Fifty years ago the Commander came into power and murdered all who opposed him. In his warped mind, the seven deadly sins were the downfall of society. He created the Hole where sinners are branded according to their sins and might survive a few years. At best.
Now LUST wraps around my neck like blue fingers strangling me. I’ve been accused of a crime I didn’t commit and now the Hole is my new home.
Darkness. Death. Violence. Pain.
Now every day is a fight for survival. But I won’t die. I won’t let them win.
The Hole can’t keep me. The Hole can’t break me.
I am more than my brand. I’m a fighter.
My name is Lexi Hamilton, and this is my story.
My Take On The Book:
Wow, holy cow. I’ve wanted to read this for awhile now, ever since I participated in the book blitz. So I literally jumped at the opportunity to review it. It did not disappoint.
This is a truly amazing book by two very talented ladies and a great start into what I’m sure will be a popular series. You can see all the thought put into this book in every turn of the page.
The Great (Pros):
- The Characters. Every single character had something to offer the development n this story. The good guys were great and even a bit faulted. I liked most of them even Keegan( though I will admit to wanting to slap him around a couple of times) and the villains were truly sick a twisted individuals. They leave you feeling vulnerable.
- The Hole. While the place itself was a rank and horrifying, that was the aspect I liked. It was a bad place unlike any before it. It gave the story a special element of grit. A terrifying place had me biting my nails for the innocent Lexi.
- The Romance. ::sigh:: Cole is so yummy and noble. While I love Lexi, he is the reason the romance worked. He had this way about him and he’s just perfect for her.
- The story of Lexi. It was utterly depressing but it was perfect for the story and character development and it helps you understand the actions of each character a bit more.
- Zeus. I’m a sucker for animals I love them lol. I’m not sure if it’s the goofy and protective way about this dog or the fact that he’s a Great Dane that acts more like a lap dog (except when he puts the mean face on) that made Zeus one of the best parts of this story.
The Not So Great (Cons):
There isn’t much I can say about this title thats negative and what I can say doesn’t affect the rating too much.
- Lexi’s Letter to Cole. Something about this letter bugged me. Not so much in how it was written but I guess in what was written. I think I expected more from her backstory and it felt a bit childish for such mature context. It was something that stuck with me after reading it and not in a good way. I’m not sure how to explain it, so you’ll just have to read it for yourself to see what I mean.
- Romance. While I enjoyed the romance and Cole… it was a bit fast paced. Parts of it seemed rushed and it threw me off a couple of times. I think, if a bit more time was spent exploring that connection I might not have felt that it was so rushed.
- Keegan. While I like his character, I also disliked him. It was a love hate thing. He was so stubborn and pigheaded and wayyy too controlling. There was so much we didn’t know and probably won’t ever know about him and that just leaves his character up in the air.
- Jumpy. Unfortunately, this book was really jumpy. It looked like it was heading one way then made a 180 and went a completely different route. It was just a bit difficult to navigate if your reading it quickly. Slow down when you read it so you can understand it the first time round.
Honestly, it was a good book and a great intro to what I’m sure will be an even better series. I look forward to reading the next book and seeing how the story progresses.
About The Author
Abi and Missy met in the summer of 1999 at college orientation and have been best friends ever since. After college, they added jobs, husbands and kids to their lives, but they still found time for their friendship. Instead of hanging out on weekends, they went to dinner once a month and reviewed books. What started out, as an enjoyable hobby has now become an incredible adventure.
Follow the Tour HERE
Enter the Giveaway Here
20 ebooks of Branded (mobi) Open Internationally
5 signed print copies and picture of Cole (US only)
“I received a free copy of the book from the author/publisher for my honest opinion. I was in no way compensated for this review and all opinions are expressly my own”